Wednesday 23 March 2011

The Real Housewives of The Palm


Every time I go to visit my parents in Dubai, it’s like visiting a reality TV show. They live in an apartment on the Palm Jumeriah Island, which definitely is not the most interesting part of the story. The characters you meet day to day are almost indescribable.

I like to refer to the drama and gossip that unfolds as either- PalmEnders or The Real Housewives of the Palm. 


Every week there is a new story about who had botox, who has cheated on who and the guessing the age game. Oh so bitchy but oh so much fun.

There are certain housewives, which have made an impact on me who could easily have their own reality television show with plenty of drama, diamonds and d-cups.

Meet Natalia, the Italian housewife who recently had a baby girl and looks like a supermodel. Absolutely stunning and heart pure of gold, Natalia is married to an English businessman David who clearly adores her and to be honest, who doesn’t?

For David’s birthday they rented out a yacht and invited close friends to go around the coast with views of nighttime Dubai to drink champagne. Pretty normal? Of course.

To surprise her- for his birthday- David bought her a new outfit- Oscar De La Renta dress that cost easily over £1500 and Christian Louboutin shoes which cost easily over £700. Standard night out.



Joanna is an ex airhostess who has the fairytale story. She fell in love with a pilot and now has two small children who are 5 and 8. From England, I assumed her morals would be similar to mine however, after a glass of ‘only pinot darling’ she blurts out how she managed to get her two boys into the best school in Dubai. This is the school, which is owned by the King, which has a waiting list of over 300 children, normal drink conversations of course.

Next is Danielle. Best way to describe her is pampered. Married to an older rich man, Danielle never looks like there’s a pin out of place, nails always done, eye lash extensions and eyebrows always just in place. Her husband Mark resembles the tan-tastic girls in England. He is the strangest colour of orange that you only go after using it out of a bottle due to sitting on the beach and doing nothing all day but wheeling and dealing. No one knows quite what he does and no one wants to ask either.

Finally out of the real housewives of the palm is Adriana. She is the most colourful, shall we say? And that’s putting it nicely. Adriana has two children, a boy and a girl from two different fathers (one of which is a the general manager of one of the seven star hotels in Dubai). Now in today’s day and age, that is not a problem or seen as abnormal. However, leaving your children for 6 months to go on holiday with your body builder toy boy and leaving them behind IS. As she casually sits at the pool bar, she tells everyone about her travels and how amazing her holiday was when all I wanted to do was throw my drink on her and ask where her children were when this was all happening. With her boyfriend sat next to her, it is clear she is infatuated by his looks as he is by hers. When I first met her I thought she was 26, don’t get me wrong, she is stunning but also clueless.

One character that has to be included is Stephan, the gay real estate agent who everyone happens to LOVE. Walking around the pool in his tight pink shorts, his sexuality is obvious to everyone by the way he walks, talks and carries himself. Every time he answers his phone to show someone around a house he always says after it “oh he sounded nice, maybe I’ll get a date out of this one” and in Dubai, finding the right man for a man is not the easiest thing in the world.

Finally, the last character that has to be spoken about is- The Model. We don’t give him a name because he told me three times and I didn’t understand him so asking again is just impolite, right?

But he is- B-E-A-UTIFUL. He walks out to the pool side after the gym with no top on and its literally a repeat of the old Diet Coke Advert, all the women no matter what they are doing peak around their magazines, pull their sunglasses down and watch him walk down to the beach. One thing I think all of them have in common.

Apart from that, the gossip is what interlinks them all together.

Of course, half the time, the gossip is about each other and starts with “You didn’t hear it from me” with a reply “Oh no darling, definitely not, you can trust me”

“Did you know Maggie has slept with her assistant?”

“Have you seen Stephanie’s boobs, they have definitely gone up a cup size”

“See that bump, yeah..well the baby isn’t her’s. You didn’t hear it from me”

And I thought I left high school...Until Next time.

Gossip Girl, xoxo.


4 comments:

  1. I love this! It made me giggle and I can really imagine the characters you're talking about! Take me there please... I'd love a peek at that Coke advert guy! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I think it's so funny and like you are just telling me one of your many hilarious stories.. especially like how you've linked it in with eastenders and the reality tv programmes, it's interesting to find out that people are actually like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was so funny! everything is sooo true! the gossip the lines! "you didn't hear it from me!" lol :)
    Loved 'The Model' xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have just actually loled. Good work. Maybe you should write a book :-)

    ReplyDelete